A research department has been created at EVMC to advance equine health. Through scientific discovery, EVMC will be leading in the area of equine veterinary medicine and disseminating new advances to the scientific and equine community in Qatar, the Gulf region, and around the world.
The department comprises:
- Two open-space research laboratories.
- A regenerative medicine laboratory.
- A research barn with five box stalls and three outside pens.
- An Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) approved by the Ministry of Public Health (MOPH). The role of the IACUC is to oversee the ethical aspects of the research conducted, ensuring compliance with the MOPH regulations and application of animal welfare regulations.
- Intramural Research Funding overseen by an international panel of independent reviewers forming the committee.
The research department benefits from the state-of-the-art hospital of EVMC, to develop a comprehensive program in translational medicine. Its location within Al Shaqab facilities gives access to a unique Arabian equine population. Core services are provided to the principal investigators/clinicians to enable scientific advances in equine medicine.